- Planning & Development
- Historic Districts
The City of Hopewell has adopted two Historic Districts to preserve and protect the unique historical, architectural, cultural, and archaeological heritage of the City. Any exterior change within these Historic Districts requires architectural design review and approval of a Certificate of Appropriateness:
- B-1 Downtown Central Business District – applies in and around Downtown Hopewell
- TH-1 Tourist/Historic District – applies in and around City Point
When a Certificate of Appropriateness is needed
No exterior change, subject to view from a public street or alley, to any property within a Historic District may be made unless and until a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) has been approved. Such changes include, but are not limited to:
- Alterations to any building or structure, such as building additions, replacement roofing or siding, alterations to or replacement of doors or windows, changes to any exterior paint colors
- Construction or erection of new buildings, structures or features, such as primary structures, sheds, FENCES, SIGNS, detached garages, gazebos, decks, etc.
- Demolition of any building or structure, in whole or in part
Exact, in-kind repairs or replacement are excluded from needing a COA. However, please keep in mind that ANY change in form, material or color requires a COA.
Applying for a COA
To apply for a COA:
- Submit a complete COA application along with all accompanying materials no later than ten (10) days before the next scheduled meeting.
- Required accompanying materials are based on the type of change requested and are listed on the application. Examples include building renderings, mock-ups, site plan drawings, color swatches, pain samples, manufacturer’s product sheets, etc.
- The City uses the adopted Historic District Design Guidelines when reviewing applications for a COA. Applicants should carefully consult the Guidelines when preparing their proposals.
- Do not complete any work prior to submitting a COA. Any work conducted without COA approval may not be required to be removed and will be subject to additional fees.
There is no application fee for a COA.
- B-1 Downtown Central Business District Meeting Information & Resources (see tab at top of page)
- TH-1 Tourist/Historic (City Point) District Meeting Information & Resources (see tab at top of page)
Please contact Kelly Davis, Senior Planner, email or call 804-541-2269, if you have any questions about the application process or whether or not you need a COA.
The Downtown Design Review Committee (DDRC) acts on applications for Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs) for changes to properties within the B-1 Downtown Central Business District.
DDRC meetings are typically held on the first Wednesday of each month at 3:30 PM in the City Council conference room in the Hopewell Municipal Building (300 N. Main St.). Enter building from rear parking lot. Applicants are encouraged to attend the DDRC meeting to answer any questions.
Façade Improvement Drawings
The Hopewell Downtown Partnership offers complimentary façade drawing services to businesses within the B-1 zoning district. Contact Hopewell Downtown Partnership to see if you are eligible for this service.
Application Forms & Resources
The Architectural Review Board (ARB) acts on applications for Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs) for changes to properties within the TH-1, Tourist/Historic District at City Point.
Residents and contractors may request a hard copy of the design guidelines at 804-541-2220.
ARB meetings are typically held on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00 PM in the City Council conference room in the Hopewell Municipal Building (300 N. Main St.). Enter building from rear parking lot. Applicants are encouraged to attend the ARB meeting to answer any questions.